Prelimenary ruling on 19th Nov.09 by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) that widened the scope of the Denied Boarding Regulation 261/2004 (“the Regulation”) on the liability of airlines to pay compensation to passengers. The ECJ ruled that passengers on flights whose arrival at their final destination is delayed by three hours or more are entitled to statutory compensation, despite this not being provided for in the Regulation. The ruling has taken the whole industry by surprise and airlines are only beginning to comprehend its severity, and the financial implications of the decision for the industry are insurmountable.
On 14 Dec.09 IATA made the following statement:
- It is in everybody's interest to operate on schedule
- Delays and cancellations are inconvenient for passengers and costly for airlines
- The opinion makes delays eligible for financial compensation
- This could add up to EUR 5 billion to industry costs annually
- For example, a three hour delay of an Airbus A319 could require compensation of up to EUR40,000
- It is an incentive that cannot deliver value
- Delays are often beyond the control of airline (weather, mechanical, air traffic congestion/strikes etc).
- Airlines will likely have to pass some additional cost to the passenger
- Operational delays and cancellations are a customer service issue
- In a competitive industry market discipline is a more effective tool than badly drafted, confusing and complex legislation
- The ECJ opinion is making this poorly drafted complex consumer protection legislation even worse
On 8 Dec.09 C.E.O.s of leading airlines and of the Board of Airline Representatives in the UK wrote a letter ....read more>> to the UK Secretary of State of Transport calling for immediate action and to rectify the situation, and therefor seeking UK Government support to achieve this objective.
BARIN fully supports this call and similarly asked for support from the Dutch Minister of Transport.
AMSTELVEEN - KLM-topman Peter Hartman pleit voor het instellen van een witte lijst van bonafide luchtvaartmaatschappijen. Deze zou in de plaats moeten komen van de Europese zwarte lijst van onveilige maatschappijen. Dat meldt Hartman zaterdag (18 juli) in de Telegraaf. ....lees verder en klik op: KLM-topman: witte lijst in plaats van zwarte lijst en reageer?
React- How does it work ?
Click on "..reacties", subsequently in the "Comment as" box click on "Name/URL" and type your name and company name. There is no need to fill in URL, but you may. In case you have an account at one of the mentioned providers, you can click on one of those, if you wish. Anonymous reactions are not appreciated. Close by a click on "Post Comment" and thereafter, at the bottom of the page, on "Home". Reaction postings are activated by the editor.
Reageer - Hoe werkt het ?
Klik op "..reacties" en klik dan in de "Comment as" box op "Name/URL" en vul jouw naam en firma naam in. Invullen van URL mag, maar is niet nodig. Als je een account hebt bij een van de vermelde providers, kun je die desgewenst aanklikken. Sluit af door op "Post Comment" te klikken en daarna, onderaan t scherm, op "Home". Anonieme reacties worden niet gewaardeerd. Reacties worden geaktiveerd door de redaktie.